The holiday season, a time of joy and togetherness, often comes with the hidden stress of emptying wallets. The good news is that you don’t have to break the bank to put smiles on the faces of your loved ones. As long as you know some good Christmas shopping hacks that we are willing to share with you today!
With some shrewd moves, you can make your hard-saved Christmas funds go even further. So we welcome you to read on to discover some game-changing Christmas shopping hacks on leveraging sales, coupons, and cashback offers.
As we have written before, Mastering the Christmas Budget is a skill. So we are here to master it in the best ways possible!
Let’s get started!
Timing is everything – what are the best times to buy gifts
If you’ve ever wondered if there’s a “perfect” time to purchase certain gifts, you’re not alone. We’ve all heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. But there are other, less obvious times when you can snag a great deal.
The art of timing is crucial when it comes to making the most of your Christmas shopping. While electronics often see a significant markdown on Black Friday, items like toys and clothing usually see their biggest discounts closer to the holiday.
So for example, toy sales often peak around the second week of December. Keep an eye on these windows to get the most bang for your buck. A calendar of the best times to buy specific items can be a useful tool to keep you on track.
Check out our article about The Best Gift Ideas Under $20 for some affordable and useful gifts.
Know the power of coupons
Coupons can sometimes seem like an old-school savings technique, but don’t dismiss them just yet. In the age of online shopping, digital coupons can save you a significant amount, especially during the holidays.
Websites and apps like RetailMeNot, Coupons.com, and Honey offer a plethora of digital coupons. Those can either be printed or applied directly online.
Before making any purchase, it’s wise to take a few moments to search for applicable coupons. Stores also offer exclusive coupons to members of their loyalty programs. Sign up for newsletters from your favorite brands, and you’ll often get coupons delivered straight to your inbox.
Cashback is a great way to earn while you spend
Cashback might sound like a paradox, but it’s very much a reality. With the right strategies, you can get a portion of your spending back in your pocket.
Numerous credit card companies offer cashback rewards during the holiday season. And this can be an effective way to save on your Christmas shopping.
Websites like Rakuten offer cashback on purchases from various retailers. Apps like Dosh and Ibotta provide similar rewards for in-store shopping. To maximize this strategy, consider stacking cashback offers from credit cards with those from cashback apps and websites.
Credit card bonuses and gifts
Many people use their credit cards for holiday shopping without fully leveraging the additional perks and bonuses that come with them. Have you ever considered that your credit card company might actually “gift” you right back when you’re out buying presents for others?
Many credit card companies offer seasonal promotions. Those can give you extra rewards points, cashback, or even actual gifts when you hit a certain spending threshold during the holiday season.
The trick is to be aware of these offers and to strategically use your credit card to capitalize on them.
- Sign-up bonuses – if you’re considering opening a new credit card, the holiday season might be the perfect time to do it. Many companies offer generous sign-up bonuses around this time, which often require you to spend a certain amount within the first few months. Plan it correctly, and your Christmas shopping could help you meet that threshold.
- Category bonuses – some cards offer extra points or cashback for spending in specific categories. For instance, you might get extra points for shopping at department stores or for online purchases. Read the fine print on your credit card agreement to make sure you’re not missing out.
- Gifts and incentives – a few credit card companies offer tangible gifts or vouchers when you spend a certain amount during the holiday season. This could be anything from a gift card to a popular retailer, to a small electronic gadget. These offers are often limited and require you to register in advance, so be sure to read all promotional emails and mailings from your credit card company.
- Loyalty programs – if your credit card is linked to a retailer’s loyalty program, keep an eye out for special holiday promotions. You might find that your points are worth more during this period, or you could be offered exclusive deals that are only available to cardholders.
- Stacking rewards – to get the maximum benefit, consider stacking your credit card rewards with other offers. Use a cashback card while shopping through a cashback portal, and you’re essentially “double-dipping” on your rewards.
While these bonuses and rewards can be lucrative, it’s crucial to remember to pay off your balance in full each month. The interest rates on credit cards can quickly eat into any rewards or bonuses you earn.
Know that Christmas shopping hacks aren’t just about scrimping and pinching pennies. It’s about making smart choices that allow you to give generously while preserving your financial well-being.
And with these tips, not only will you be a holiday hero for your loved ones, but you’ll also pat yourself on the back for being a savvy spender.